|[Ben]:||Exchange, spam and other notes ||Discuss This [0 comments so far] View Comments|
|Today I finally took a minute to fix a problem I've had with my Exchange server since I restored my server from an outage a few months ago.|
The symptom was a continual "Loading ..." screen when I accessed my account via Outlook Web Access (OWA) using IE. I could still get my email through Firefox, but through a less feature-rich interface (i.e., no ability to search whatsoever).
Specifically, in my event viewer I was seeing two entries entitled DAVEX. The first entry was a success audit, but the second was an error. The exact error was:
Event ID: 1776
The description for Event ID ( 1776 ) in Source ( DAVEX ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: .
I thought it was mildly amusing that the error was 1776, but the whole situation was certainly more irritating than anything else.
In the past, when I've tried to find a solution to the problem I have been directed to a number of Microsoft knowledgebase entries and have tried to apply the fixes as requested. None of the solutions worked, and many of the suggested problems were utter non-issues in my environment. Finally, today I found this site which provided a potential solution. The excited response from Ash@Sumix seemed to indicate it might be of assistance to me, so I tried it. Sure enough, installing MSXML 3.0 SP7 and restarting the server fixed the problem right away.
One reason I like the IE interface to OWA is that it lets me select a range of emails to delete. As I receive a lot of spam that isn't caught by the server, that can be a real lifesaver. I killed a few dozen spam emails from my inbox and then noticed that my Junk Email folder (the spam messages caught by the server) was a little full. As of this writing I have 160,505 spam messages that were automatically caught and sequestered. I thought I remembered clearing out that spam box a while back and sure enough when I went to the first message in that area, it was from February 4th, 2008. So, in about 184 days, I received 160,505 spam emails. That's an average of 872 spam messages per day.
Exchange, spam and other notes